We are dessert lovers at our house. Really it’s my whole family that loves dessert. If there is a get together, you know we are going to have something sweet to share. Chocolate chip cookies are always a favorite, but sometimes, they can be a little time consuming baking them a batch at a time. Well today I’m sharing one of the easiest desserts ever! This chocolate chip cookie bar recipe is not only easy to make, it tastes good and it feeds a crowd!
Because this is a cookie bar recipe, you can cut the chocolate chip cookie bar into any size pieces you want. So that all your guests can have something sweet!
The original recipe only calls for a 9×13 pan, but I have adjusted it so it can be baked in a jelly roll pan so it serves even more.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) room temperature butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 (12 oz) bag chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped nuts (optional)
- white melting candy or white chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a jelly roll pan.
- In a large bowl with a mixer of medium speed, cream together butter, shortening, and sugars until well combined and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips (and nuts).
- Spread evenly into jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until golden brown. (It will look puffed up).
- Let cool completely before cutting. (middle will go down).
- *Optional - melt candy or white chocolate chips in plastic bag until smooth. Make a small cut at the tip of the plastic bag and drizzle the white candy or the top of the cookie bar.
- I have used m&ms instead of chocolate chips and they are great too.
These really are a favorite of ours. They are soft and chewy, my favorite. I’m not a fan of crunchy cookies.
We can not be trusted with these at our house. We have to give them away if we have too many leftovers. Otherwise, I end up eating them all!
Here are some other easy desserts you might enjoy: