Do you have any peanut butter cup lovers at your house? I’m not a super huge fan, but some of the folks in my house are big fans of them! They happen to be my husband’s favorite treat, so I decided that for his birthday this year, I would make him a chocolate peanut butter cake. This cake was the perfect combination of chocolate and peanut butter.
This cake is really simple. I just used a boxed devil’s food cake mix for the cake. I’m the type of baker that will take a short cut to help in the kitchen if there is one. And boxed cake mixes are one of those shortcuts. It’s the rich a creamy peanut butter frosting that really makes this cake something special.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix - I like devils food
- ingredients to make the boxed cake mix
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter - room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ⅓ cup milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- chocolate peanut butter cups to chop and put on top
- Mix cake per directions on box
- Bake in (2) 8 or 9 inch pans according to directions
- Let cool and remove from pans (grease and flour pans well so they will come out easily)
- For Frosting:
- Combine with mixer peanut butter and butter until well combined and creamy
- Add vanilla and milk and mix until somewhat incorporated
- Add powdered sugar and slowly start to mix
- Once most powdered sugar is combined, turn up speed on mixer
- (if frosting is too thick, add more milk a little at a time)
- Place one layer of cake on cake plate and frost top with ⅓ to ½ of the frosting
- Place second layer on top of frosted bottom layer and top with remaining frosting
- Chop chocolate peanut butter cups and sprinkle on top of cake
I bought about 8 peanut butter cups to use for the top of the cake and had to hide them from everyone so that I could use them on the top of the cake without fear of them being devoured before I had the chance. They were the perfect addition to the rich peanut butter frosting that topped the cake.
For not being a fan of peanut butter cups, I sure ate more than my fair share of this chocolate peanut butter cake. That’s when you know it’s good!
Last year my hubby got an mint chocolate ice cream cake for his birthday, his other favorite thing.
Here is another one of our favorite cakes: