Did you know that today, Feb. 17th, 2015 is National Random Acts of Kindness day? I just learned about this myself! I thought that it being in February, the month of love, was very fitting. Today I’m sharing 20 ideas of Random Acts of Kindness to do with your kids or with your family.
What I love about random acts of kindness is that they don’t take a lot of time. Many people could use a simple friendly gesture to change their outlook if even for just a minute. I know that doing random acts of kindness for others help me forget my troubles as I focus on others.
Let’s start with some ideas that don’t cost any money:
1. Hold open the door for another person
2. Do yard work for a neighbor
3. Allow someone to go ahead of you in line at the check out
4. Smile! It not only will brighten someones day, but it will brighten yours too!
5. Pick up liter
6. Leave coupons you’re not using on the product for someone else
7. Send an old photo to a friend with a note
8. Donate books to a retirement community or children’s center
9. Have your kids make cards to take to a senior center for those who might not get visitors, or as a family go and visit a senior center.
Here are more ideas that cost money, but it can be a little or a lot, depending on what you want.
10. Leave a treat for the mail man/mail carrier
This is one of my kids favorite things to do! We write a note for our mail carrier with a little treat.
11. Pay for the car behind you in the drive thru
I like to do this during happy hour at Sonic!
12. Make a big batch of soup for someone, just because
13. Leave diapers and wipes at the changing station at the store
14. Take flowers to the secretaries at the school
15. Tape microwave popcorn to the RedBox machine
16. Leave quarters on top of the candy machines – another one my kids love to do
17. Leave dollar bills in random places at the dollar store
During Christmas, my daughters and I were at the dollar store and an older women was watching my girls look at and play with things around the store. She stopped us and gave each girl a dollar bill so they could buy something they wanted. It not only made my day, but made my daughter’s day.
18. Take a donation to the food bank during the off season
19.Leave quarters at the laundromat
20. Blessing Bags
Blessing bags are one of my favorite things to put together. These are for those in need who could use a helping hand. Often times we see them holding signs on the street corners. I go to the dollar store and buy most of these items to put blessing bags together.
Here is a list of things I put into a blessing bag:
bottle of water – toothbrush/toothpaste – kleenex – comb – soap – antibacterial wipes – chapstick – trail mix/nuts – chicken/tuna and crackers – first aid kit – antibacterial ointment – pain reliever – applesauce/fruit cup – cookies – hand sanitizer – you could even throw in a couple dollars or a gift card for some place to eat
I put everything into a zippered plastic bag and keep it in my car.
I’ve had so much fun doing random acts of kindness with my family. Kids learn by example and I want them to see a kind example from me and my husband. I want them to learn the importance of kindness and learn that serving others not only benefits them, but it benefits us as well.
I created a fun printable tag that you can print and attach to those dollar bills you leave in the store, the donations you take to the shelters, or the blessing bags that you give to those in need.
You can download the tags using the link below:
Hopefully some of these ideas you will try with your family. I’d love to hear any other ideas of random acts of kindness that you and your family love to do.
- How To Draw A Pumpkin Free Printable
- Harry Potter Bookmarks
- Mermaid Tail Bookmarks
- Free Popsicle Coloring Page
- Disneyland To Do List
- Free Printable Travel I Spy
- Father’s Day Gift Ideas
- Dunkin Donut Valentine Printables
- Free Concessions Printable Banner
- DIY Tissue Paper Flower Tutorial Teacher Appreciation
- Free Printable Happy Birthday Flower Wrapper
- Free Printable Birthday Card and A Giveaway