No need to go out for dinner. Stay in and enjoy this easy chow mein recipe that takes 20 minutes to make.
It seems like anymore, there is a day for everything! Well today is no different. That’s right, February 17th is National cabbage day.
I’m sure like most people, I’ve never been the biggest fan of cabbage. I feel like as an adult I’m more willing to try different things. And although cabbage isn’t my most favorite food, there are many dishes and recipes that include cabbage that I have grown to love.
Chow mein is one of those recipes that I have grown to love. I love the role cabbage has in this easy chow mein recipe. If you love the chow mein from Panda Express, this recipe is very similar. It’s not exact, but really close and just as good.
Easy Chow Mein Recipe
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 TBL Oyster sauce
- 1 TBL brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ginger - grated
- dash of pepper
- 2 TBL olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic-minced or pressed
- 1/4 onion - thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery - thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup match stick carrots (store bought or grated carrot)
- 10 ounce bag shredded cabbage
- 2 (7 or 8 oz) packages yakisoba noodles (found in refrigerated section of grocery store)
- In a small bowl mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, oyster sauce, ginger and pepper.
- Set aside until ready.
- In a hot wok (or other large pan) add olive oil, garlic, onion, celery and carrots.
- Toss together for about 2 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add cabbage. It will look like a lot, but it will cook down.
- Add noodles (once prepared per package instructions) and 1/2 the sauce mixture.
- Toss everything together, adding more sauce as needed.
- Cook together for 2-3 minutes, stirring until everything looks combined and coated.
My favorite foodies and I have 10 recipes that will have you rethinking any aversion you have to eating cabbage. Make sure to check out these 10 cravable cabbage recipes.
Roasted Cabbage with Bacon from Bread Booze Bacon
Beef & Cabbage Stew from White Lights on Wednesday
Pastrami & Relish Dog from Kleinworth & Co.
Asian Sesame Chicken Salad from Cooking with Curls
Irish Deviled Eggs from Home.Made.Interest.
Irish Fried Cabbage from Sugar & Soul
Thai Peanut Chicken Crunch Slaw Salad from Celebrating Sweets
Mexican Slaw from The Two Bite Club
Easy Chow Mein from Liz on Call
Ginger Cashew Chicken Salad from It Bakes Me Happy