Cooler weather means time for baking. And I finally did just that! With all the wonderful apples to choose from at the grocery store right now, I decided to make this apple pudding cake with caramel sauce.
The cake alone is moist and delicious. It’s called pudding cake because it has a consistency similar to bread pudding. But it also has nuts and the apples that give it some good texture.
Add the caramel sauce and you have yourself one show stopping dessert!
I will admit that it took me 2 attempts to get the caramel sauce right, so this recipe (the caramel sauce) takes some patience and care to make just right.
But it really does make this cake extra special and extra yummy!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (room temp)
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups unpeeled apples (shredded)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 TBL butter
- 1 cup sugar mixed with 3 TBL flour
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- FOR CAKE:
- In a mixing bowl cream together sugar butter and eggs.
- Add 4 cups shredded apples (I used a food processor with grate attachment. I did squeeze just a little of the juice out of the apples as I removed them from food processor.)
- Add soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, flour and nuts and mix until all combined.
- Pour into greased 9×13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 – 45 minutes.
- FOR SAUCE:
- In a medium sauce pan on medium high heat, melt and brown lightly 1/2 cup sugar and 2 TBL butter. (Sugar does not need to be melted all the way, just cook together until it just barely starts to get a golden color.)
- Remove from heat and pour in boiling water (make sure it is HOT) stirring constantly, scrapping the bottom. BE CAREFUL it is HOT. If your water isn’t hot enough your butter/sugar mixture with harden on you really fast and you will have to start over.
- Stir in sugar and flour mixture to water mixture and return to heat stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture starts to thicken.
- Simmer on medium low for 5 minutes (I just stirred every minute or two)
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Serve warm caramel sauce over warm apple pudding cake. Dollop of whipped cream would be yummy on top too.
The only thing it was missing was a big dollop of whipped cream. YUM!
Happy Fall Baking!
Check the gallery below and visit some of my blogging friends to see their awesome ideas!!