Halloween time means lots of fun and festive parties! I’m not one for spooky, but I do love cutesy! And this Halloween Monster Mash party is just that. I got together with a couple friends to bring you some fun ideas to host a Monster Mash party of your own. These monsters are not spooky at all, but get you into the Halloween spirit. For our Monster Mash party, I made this brownie ice cream Frankenstein cake as the centerpiece of the party table.
You can’t have a Monster bash without Frankenstein right? Now some of you may wonder why an Ice Cream cake for a Halloween party. Well it’s still hot here, even in October. We are usually sweating in our Halloween costumes as we go trick or treating. So I decided to go with an ice cream cake. However, if it’s chilly where you are, you could always go with just a double or triple layer cake and use the same techniques for frosting and creating a Frankenstein cake.
I started off with two brownie mixes that I baked in 2 (9 in) cake pans. Once they were cooled, I started staking my cake. Using a spring form pan, I placed one brownie on the bottom, spread out my thawed ice cream and then placed the other brownie on top. I covered it and put it in the freezer for 8 hours. If you want to see a step by step picture tutorial of this process you can look at how to make an ice cream cake.
I used cool whip that I colored green using food coloring as my frosting. I place the cake back in the freezer for another hour and then used hot fudge to create Frank’s hair. I had pretzels and candy eyeballs in my pantry so I used those to create his face. I put him back in the freezer until it was party time!
Now doesn’t that just look like a slice of deliciousness? Oh and let me tell you, it was!
- 2 boxes brownie mix (plus eggs, oil, water, etc to make brownies)
- 1/2 gallon mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 16 oz container cool whip
- green food coloring
- 12 oz jar hot fudge topping
- candy eyes and pretzels for making the face
- Mix brownie mixes according to package instructions.
- Bake in 2 well greased 9 inch round cake pans. (I baked mine at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, about 5 minutes longer than package said, since I baked both in the same oven.)
- Let brownies cool completely.
- To build the cake, I used a 9 inch spring form pan.
- Take ice cream out of the freezer and set on counter for 20 minutes
- Start with a brownie on the bottom.
- Add thawed ice cream to the pan on top of the brownie.
- Use a spatula (or your hands) to spread out the ice cream.
- Add the 2nd brownie on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put in freezer for 8 hours or overnight.
- Mix green food coloring with thawed cool whip until you get desired color.
- Remove cake from freezer.
- Use a wet knife and run it around the edges to loosen ice cream from spring form pan.
- Remove cake from pan.
- Use a spatula to cover cake with cool whip.
- Put back in freezer for a couple hours. No need to cover the cake.
- Heat hot fudge in microwave for 30 – 50 seconds.
- Pour over top of cake and carefully create small drizzles down the front, leaving a place for the face.
- Add eyes and pretzels to make face.
- Keep in freezer until ready to serve.
The Frankenstein cake is a fun addition to the party table. For my other party food I just made simple cupcakes and used the free printable tags to make toppers. I also used the tags to create a mini banner as my back drop. For my spooky drinks I used green apple and orange flavored syrups and lemon lime soda. They totally matched the party!
Of course no party would be complete without some party favors! I think your party guests will love their Frankenstein party favor treat cones.
Parties don’t have to be super complicated. And hopefully we’ve helped you with the hard part. Coming up with the kind of party you want to have! Your friends and family will love dressing up in their spooky costumes and have fun at your Monster Bash!
You can get the free monster mash party printables and the tutorial on how to make the Frankenstein party favors using the links below.
Free Halloween Monster Mash Printables – Strawberry Mommycakes
Frankenstein Party Favors – Pink Cake Plate