Have you ever had homemade buttermilk syrup? It is absolutely my favorite on waffles. My mom makes the best buttermilk syrup and I finally got the recipe from her. I realized how easy it was to make and wanted to make it for my kids, but I didn’t have any buttermilk in my fridge. Mom came through and told me how to make buttermilk syrup if you don’t have buttermilk.
It’s really simple and you probably DO have the things you need in your fridge and pantry. The trick is to substitute the buttermilk with what we call “sour milk”. It’s regular milk mixed with either vinegar or lemon juice.
- 1 cube (1/2 cup) butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk – substitute 1/2 cup sour milk
- **sour milk** to make sour milk mix 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 TBL vinegar or lemon juice- let stand 5 mins.
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- In a sauce pan with sides, cook together butter, sugar and buttermilk/sour milk
- Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved and everything is mixed together
- Bring to a boil
- Stirring constantly, boil for 1 minute
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and baking soda
- Stir constantly as it foams up and mix everything together
This recipe is easy to whip together as you are waiting for your waffles or pancakes to cook. I will admit that we sometimes do use store-bought maple syrup if I’m in a hurry. But more than likely, if I’m making waffles, I’m making this buttermilk syrup.
If you are looking for more breakfast ideas, try these: