Easy party punch recipes, whether alcoholic or non-alcoholic punch recipes, are the best beverages to serve at a party. Punch is easy and inexpensive to make, and it is always a crowd pleasing, refreshing drink. We have the best punch recipes for kids, holiday parties, brunches, summer parties, and any other occasion you can think of!
Have you ever wondered how something so delicious as party punch could be compared with a forceful strike with a fist? Homonym aside, the drink we call punch actually has a bit of interesting history behind it.
History of Party Punch
The word punch comes from Sanskrit. Literally, it means “five”. In relation to punching someone, five fingers are used to form a fist. In relation to the drink, the first punch recipe used five ingredients; alcohol, sugar, water, lemon, and either tea or spices. (source)
British documents indicate that the first punch was created in the early seventeenth century. At that time, alcoholic punch recipes were made with a lower alcohol content than modern day punch recipes as we know them. Back then, they were more commonly wine or brandy-based wassail drinks. It wasn’t until around 1655 that Jamaican rum was introduced into the picture, creating the modern punch recipes that we are familiar with.
Tuck that information into your back pocket, for use around the punch table at the next party you attend. 🙂
Knowing where punch found its roots is important, but the more important question is, how do you make punch?
How to Make Party Punch
I discuss the topic in detail in my post, How to Make Party Punch, but here are the essential ingredients and items needed to make any alcoholic or non-alcoholic punch recipe:
- Large Punch Bowl – For an elegant cocktail party or special event, punch can be served in an elegant crystal punch bowl. For casual party punches, especially if you’re making party punch for kid’s birthday parties or a rowdy college party, consider using a plastic punch bowl.
- Ice or Frozen Desserts – Some of the best party punches I have ever tasted have had frozen sherbet or ice cream added to them. Not only does it add to the taste, it helps to keep the punch cold, without watering it down. That being said, my best party punch recipe uses crushed ice and it’s one of the most popular and best tasting punch recipes I’ve had. It’s called Raspberry Crush Punch, and it is delicious!
Making easy punch recipes for parties is important because the last thing you want to do at a party is worry about refilling the punch bowl. An easy punch recipe should use just a few basic ingredients. That way, when the bowl needs a refill, you can just add another bottle of lemon-lime soda and/or a bit more alcohol and the party fun continues without interruption.
Best Punch Recipes for Parties
As previously mentioned, there are two basic types of punch for party time; alcoholic and non-alcoholic party punch recipes (or mocktails). We hope to give you a reason to throw a party, by sharing our best punch recipes for parties! To make it easy for you to find the perfect punch, the recipes below are separated into categories.
Easy Punch Recipes for Kids
- Tiger’s Blood Party Punch– With the flavors of strawberry, watermelon, and coconut and a name like tiger’s blood, this party punch for kids is sure to be a hit with any kid, young or old.
- Mermaid Party Punch – This tropical flavored, aquamarine blue drink is the perfect party punch for kids birthday parties. Little girls go crazy for The Little Mermaid and this 4-ingredient punch recipe. With its blue color, it would also make the perfect party punch for a baby shower (for a boy, of course).
- Lemon Lime Slush Punch – This lemon lime slush party punch is the perfect non-alcoholic, kid-friendly drink for summer parties. We think it’s one of our best punch recipes!
- Tropical Peach Slush – Most kids love slushy drinks, and this one is packed with tropical flavors, from pineapple and peaches. It’s so refreshing and fun to drink!
Speaking of non-alcoholic party punch, here are some good mocktail recipes:
- Mai Tai Mocktail Party Punch – Escape the stresses of life without leaving your home by mixing up a tasty Mai Tai mocktail. It’s an easy party punch recipe, too.
- Sparkling Pina Colada Mocktail – Get a feel for the islands at your party or luau with sparkling pina colada party punch. Who doesn’t love a delicious drink with an umbrella in it?
- Tropical Breeze Party Punch – No need to leave the house to feel like you are on an exotic getaway. Mix up this tropical breeze punch recipe for an instant island party feel.
- Arizona Sunset Mocktail Punch – Impress your guests with this beautiful mocktail recipe, made with real prickly pear syrup. It reminds us of the colors found in an Arizona sunset.
Brunch Punch Recipes
If you love alcohol in your party punch, let’s face the facts; not all party punch is created equal. Some alcoholic punch recipes just aren’t appropriate for brunch punch. Here are a few of my favorite non-alcoholic brunch punch recipes. The great thing about these recipes is that they’re just as delicious with alcohol in them as they are without. Make a bowl full of mocktail brunch punch and let the grown ups add alcohol as desired!
- Sunshine Berry Spritzer – This fruity punch screams summer! What’s great is that you can add as much or as little of something to suit your taste preference as you want to. I think it’s the perfect party punch for a baby shower.
- Peach Bellini Party Punch – Bellinis are typically champagne-based brunch cocktails, but with this mocktail brunch punch, even the kiddos can enjoy them.
- Sparkling Grapefruit Mother’s Day Brunch Punch – Mom deserves the very best party punch recipe you’ve got, and this bubbly grapefruit punch is just the ticket!
- Easy Pink Party Punch – If you know there’s a little girl on the way, this pretty in pink drink is the perfect party punch for a baby shower.
Holiday Punch Recipes
Party punch for the holidays? Yes, indeed! If you ask me, the bigger the celebration or holiday, the better the party punch should be. These are easy punch recipes for parties, holidays, or any day that ends with “y”. 🙂
- Strawberry Mint Agua Fresca – This is one of my favorite non alcoholic punch recipes for spring holidays. Strawberries and mint are a tasty combination any time of the year, so it’s one of my favorite Easter brunch punch recipes, but equally perfect for the 4th of July.
- Fresh & Fruity Party Punch – Simple party punch recipes don’t get tastier or easier to make than this one. It’s the best refreshing basic party punch for a hot day.
- Shamrock Party Punch – Everyone needs a green drink for St. Patrick’s Day, and a punch bowl full of green punch with lime sherbet will make the party-going leprechauns happy!
- Black Magic Halloween Party Punch – Set a spooky mood for your Halloween party with this bubbling party punch recipe. It will be a hit with guests young and old.
- Fall Holiday Party Punch – When I think of fall fruits, cranberries, apples, and oranges are the first ones on my mind. This pretty holiday punch recipe has all of those flavors in it.
- Cranberry Apple Fizz – This easy punch recipe is my favorite Thanksgiving drink, but its beautiful red color makes it a great Christmas party punch, too.
Want even more tasty drinks? Click here for all of my party punch recipes.