This slow cooker butternut squash soup is simple, creamy, delicious and perfect for this cold fall and winter nights.
I love when the weather finally turns cold and I can start making soup! It’s my favorite thing to make for dinner on cold evenings. My kids and husband are slowly coming around to the whole eating soup for dinner more than once a week meal plan. But chili can get old after awhile so I like to make different soups for the family to try. I love butternut squash and have made it before, but I wanted to make it even easier and decided to try it in the slow cooker.
It is probably the easiest soup I’ve ever made. Plus it turned out delish!
- 6 cups peeled and cubed squash (Costco ready or a big one from the store)
- 2 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 stalk of celery chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 5 cups or (3) 14 oz cans of chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 TBL brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cream/half & half/milk (whatever you have on hand)
- Put all ingredients in slow cooker except the cream/half & half/milk.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4 hours.
- hour before done cooking, remove bay leaves and throw them away.
- Using an immersion blender straight in the slow cooker, blend the soup until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup cream and mix until combined.
- Cook for an additional hour.
I like to make mine extra creamy so I add a dollop of sour cream and then for crunch I throw in some croutons.
This butternut squash soup has all those flavors of fall and is perfect with homemade bread, rolls or biscuits. It’s even good with store bought biscuits or rolls too. 🙂
Do you find you eat a lot of soup in the fall and winter months?
Be sure to check out my 3 tips for making quick fall soups.
- Picnic Time Lemonade Disneyland Copycat Recipe
- Lime Rickey Mocktail
- Easy Fall Wreath
- Marvel Inspired Freakshake
- Pomegranate Margarita Mocktail Recipe
- Easy White Vegetable Lasagna
- Dragon Party Punch
- Margarita Mocktail Recipe
- Arizona Sunset Mocktail Party Punch
- Purple Ombre Cake
- Shamrock Party Punch
- Valentine’s Day Cookie Bouquet