My kids are always so hungry when they get out of school. I like having snacks on hand that are easy to grab when they come home from school and when they do their homework. But every once in a while I like to make something homemade that I think the kids would enjoy. This pretzel bites recipe is so easy and the pretzels come out perfect every time!
I can’t leave them out for too long or the entire batch would be gone. I have to put most of them in a bag and save them for another time. My kids (and my husband) just can’t eat enough.
The crusty outside and the soft inside of these pretzel bites are so delicious. I think they taste good with just the salt, but they do taste really good dipped in some warm cheese sauce!
I mean, YUM!!
- 4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 TBL. melted butter
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 TBL melted butter and salt for topping
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast, 1 tsp. white sugar and warm water.
- Let it stand until creamy/foamy. About 10 minutes.
- In mixing bowl mix together flour, 1/2 cup white sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the center and add melted butter and yeast mixture.
- Use a dough hook and mix together. Starting on low and then increasing speed as it combines.
- You may have to add 1-2 TBL water if the mixture looks too dry or is not all coming together.
- Knead dough with dough hook about 7-8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in bowl and turn it to coat with oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until it is double in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a wide sauce pan with short sides, add 4 cups water and baking soda and heat until baking soda dissolves. Keep water hot, not boiling.
- Turn dough onto lightly greased (use cooking spray) surface and divide into 16 equal pieces.
- Just using your hands, roll out the dough into a 1 inch thick log
- Use a knife and cut 1 inch pieces for the pretzel bites.
- Dip each pretzel into the baking soda solution so entire thing is covered, and place on a grease baking sheet.
- Use a knife to make small score marks across the tops.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in oven for 6-7 minutes until brown.
These pretzel bites make a great after school snack, but they are the perfect party food. With football season starting soon, put these on your menu for your next sunday night football watching party.
Here are some other appetizers you might enjoy: