These twice baked potato bites are a great addition to any party. They are the perfect appetizer.
Football season is upon us and that means lots of get togethers with yummy food and cheering on our favorite team. We love us some good food at our get togethers. We usually keep it to finger foods. The best part about finger foods, you get to try everything since they are all small portions! I thought it’d be fun to create a favorite appetizer into bite sized finger foods.
These twice baked potato bites were really fun to make! Why is everything more fun to make when it’s bite sized? I decided to use baby red potatoes to make these bites. The thing with baby red potatoes is that the skin is really delicate and you can’t have potato skin bites with out any potato skins. I washed them really gently before cutting them in half length wise and covered them with olive oil and salt and pepper to roast them in the oven.
I started by roasting them cut side down and half way through I turned them cut side up.
I carefully removed the insides of the potatoes and mixed them together with some yummy stuff and filled them back up and baked them to melt the cheese on top.
Served with a dollop of sour cream, onion and bacon bits, these twice baked potato bites are one heck of an appetizer!
- 1.5 pounds baby red potatoes
- 1 TBL olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream - divided
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - divided
- 6 slices bacon - cooked and chopped
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- green onion - diced
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Gently wash potatoes- making sure to keep skin on.
- Cut potatoes in half length wise.
- Place potatoes on lined sheet pan and cover with olive oil and salt and pepper. Make sure all potatoes are covered.
- Turn potatoes cut side down on pan and bake for 15 mins.
- Remove pan from oven and turn potatoes cut side up.
- Bake for another 15 mins.
- Let cool for 10-15 mins - leave the oven on.
- Gently remove the centers of the potatoes into a bowl, leaving the skin and just a little potato around the edges.
- Place potato skins back on to sheet pan.
- Mix together the center part of the potatoes, ⅓ cup sour cream, 2 TBL chopped bacon, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, ¼ cup cheese.
- Use a small spoon to spoon mixture into the potato skins.
- Top with more cheese and bake for 20 mins.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining sour cream, bacon and green onion.
- In a b
And if you don’t want to wait for all those toppings, just get to dipping straight into the sour cream!
If you are a potato lover, check out these other yummy potato dishes my foodie friends are sharing today!
Do you love potatoes? What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy potatoes?