This chocolate peanut butter cup sheet cake first appeared on Real Housemoms where I was a contributor.
Make this CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUP SHEET CAKE for your next family get together. All the chocolate peanut butter fans will go crazy for this cake!
My husband is a HUGE fan of all things peanut butter and chocolate. Don’t get me wrong, I like it too, but not as much as he does. The last couple years for his birthday I make him a homemade cake. Since peanut butter and chocolate is one of his all-time favorite combos, this chocolate peanut butter cup sheet cake was just perfect for my peanut butter cup fan on his birthday.
In the past I’ve made him a mint chocolate chip ice cream cake. That’s the cake his mom used to get him for his birthday growing up. So although he likes the ice cream cake, he really, really, really likes this chocolate peanut butter cup sheet cake. It tastes just like a peanut butter cup.
One thing I like about sheet cakes is that they can feed a crowd. So this was the perfect cake to make for our small get together. And all those chocolate peanut butter fans gave it a thumbs up!
The rich peanut butter frosting takes the classic chocolate sheet cake to a whole new level. And no one can pass up those peanut butter cup pieces on the top! In fact, my baby just ate all the peanut butter cups off all the cake tops of not just her piece, but any piece that she spotted.
- 4 TBL cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 sticks margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. soda
- 2 eggs 1/2 cup buttermilk/sour milk
- 1 stick butter room temperature
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pound box powdered sugar
- 8 peanut butter cups
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan on medium high heat, melt together 4 TBL Cocoa, 1 cup water, and 1 1/2 sticks margarine.
- Turn off heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl mix together 2 cups sugar, 2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. soda.
- In a small bowl mix together 2 eggs and 1/2 cup buttermilk.
- To your cooled cocoa and butter mixture, whisk in 1/3 flour mixture.
- Once combined, add 1/2 egg and buttermilk mixture and whisk together.
- Continue adding dry and wet ingredients, ending with dry ingredients.
- Pour into a greased jelly roll pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 – 22 mins.
- Let cool.
- In a mixer, cream together butter and peanut butter until combined and smooth.
- Add milk and vanilla.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until all combined.
- Spread gently over cake.
- Chop peanut butter cups and sprinkle on top of cake.
- Add mini chocolate chips on top for more chocolate!
Birthdays, picnics, parties, family gatherings, this cake is just perfect for any event. It feeds a lot of people and will be the favorite dessert of all the guests!
Here are some of my other favorite desserts for feeding a crowd.