This blueberry lemon bar recipe is tart and sweet and perfect for spring and summer get togethers. A delicious twist on a classic bar dessert.
Lemon bars have always been one of my favorite desserts. I love how tart and gooey they are. They always seem so refreshing so I never feel guilty eating too many. 😉 I have tried my hand at making lemon bars many times with no success. I have even bought the box of lemon bar mix from the store with no success. Finally, my grandmother helped me make some for a church event last year and they turned out! Not only did they turn out, they were the hit of the party!
Well last week the kids and I went over to my grandparents house to pick a bunch of lemons from their tree. The kids have been asking to have a lemonade stand, so I juiced a bunch of lemons to make some lemonade mix for their stand. Since I had so much lemon juice, and some beautiful lemons for testing, I thought it was the perfect time to make some lemon bars. I wanted to change them up a little bit and now that berries are coming into season, a blueberry lemon bar recipe was just what this lemon bar lover was craving.
- 2 sticks butter - softened (room temp)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 TBL white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups white sugar
- 2 TBL lemon zest
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash blueberries and make sure all the little stems are removed.
- Add blueberries to a small bowl and cover with 2 TBL white sugar and stir to cover all blueberries. (you can keep blueberries whole or crush them, either way will work) Set them aside for later.
- In a mixer, cream together butter and 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy.
- Add flour and salt to mixer and mix until combined.
- Dump crust mixture in 9x13 baking dish and gently flatten dough and press down to cover bottom of pan.
- Bake crust for 15 - 20 minutes until very lightly browned.
- Let cool on a wire rack, leaving the oven on.
- For filling, mix together eggs, 3 cups sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and flour.
- Pour filling over crust.
- Add blueberries to mixture by dropping whole blueberries into mixture throughout the pan, or drizzling crushed berries over filling.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, until filling is set in the center.
- Let cool to room temperature before serving.
- Dust with powdered sugar and cut into squares to serve.
This recipe is adapted from the Barefoot Contessa’s lemon bar recipe.
I ended up sharing these lovelies with some of my friends and they were big fans and thought the addition of the blueberries was amazing!
Truth be told, I only shared them for fear I would eat the entire pan by myself. 😉
These blueberry lemon bars will be a hit at your spring gatherings or your summer bar-b-cues. My favorite thing about bar desserts is that they can feed a lot of people.
If you are looking for more tasty recipes try this chocolate chip cookie bar recipe:
Or if lemon is on your mind, try this strawberry lemonade.