When I first started thinking about what to make for my daughters birthday cake, I knew I wanted it to be something fun and fruity. I also knew I wanted it to be 2 layers and look beautiful. Once I decided on a theme for the party, the decision was simple. I made this strawberry cake with lemonade frosting to go along with our strawberry lemonade theme, and I think it turned out perfect.
Really I kept going between a lemon cake with strawberry frosting or a strawberry cake with lemonade frosting. I finally asked my mom what she would like and this was her decision. She made a good choice! The frosting on this cake could be eaten with a spoon, no need for cake! It’s really good. And the added lemon zest on the top, was a last minute decision that turned out to be just perfect! And the addition of the fresh strawberries in a boxed strawberry cake mix made it taste from scratch.
- Boxed Strawberry Cake mix
- (eggs, oil, water – whatever the cake mix calls for)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 stick butter – room temp.
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese – room temp.
- 2 TBL lemon juice
- 1 TBL lemon zest
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Prepare 2 (9 in.) cake pans – grease and flour
- Mix up cake mix according to directions except use 1/4 cup less water than what is called for.
- For example if it calls for 1 cup of water, use only 3/4 cup.
- Then add 1/2 cup chopped strawberries.
- Divide batter into the 2 cake pans and bake according to box directions.
- Let cake cool on wire rack.
- For Frosting, add butter and cream cheese to mixing bowl and cream together.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest and powdered sugar.
- Mix everything together until well combined.
- Cover bottom cake with a layer of frosting, then add 2nd cake.
- Cover top with remaining frosting and top with additional lemon zest if desired.
It was the perfect centerpiece to our party table. Plus being that I love more fruity flavors over chocolate, I really loved this cake. And I wasn’t the only one! Which is always a plus. 😉
What is your favorite flavor for cake?
Here are some other great cake recipes you might enjoy: