Whether you make 1 or 9, this green chili chicken enchilada casserole is one of the easiest freezer meals to put together.
In preparation for #lighttheworld Day 21, feed the hungry, I got some friends together to make some green chili chicken enchilada casserole freezer meals. This is one of my family’s favorite meals and I love that it’s easy to make and easy to make more than one to put into the freezer.
Have you heard about the Light the World campaign? It’s helping to bring Christ into Christmas with 25 ways to serve in the days leading up to Christmas. I have to say that day 21, feed the hungry is my favorite. It is something that I find is easy for me. I don’t mind being in the kitchen and sharing what I make with others. For this year though, I thought it’d be fun to get together with some of my friends and do it together.
We had all hands on deck for this meal prep fest. We cooked the chicken in instant pots and it was done in about 20 minutes. While some were chopping up the chicken, others were mixing together all the rest of the ingredients to get ready for making our green chili chicken enchilada casseroles. Instead of filling tortillas and rolling them individually, we built ours like you would a lasagna.
I bought all my ingredients in bulk at Smart & Final. To make this big batch of freezer meals, I bought 3 cans of 50 oz cream of chicken soup, 2 (5 pound) tubs sour cream, 3 (102 oz) green chili enchilada sauce, 2 (4 pound) bags frozen chicken breasts, 3 (2 pound) bags of shredded cheese, 2 (26 oz) cans diced green chilis, 2 bags (80 count) corn tortillas, salt and pepper.
For each can of cream of chicken soup we added 2.5 – 3 lbs chicken, 1/2 a container of sour cream, 1 cup enchilada sauce, 1/2 can diced green chili, salt and pepper. We mixed it all together in a big bowl and started layering our casseroles.
Below you can find the recipe for one
Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 16 (6") corn tortillas
- 1 pound chicken - cooked and shredded
- 1 small can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 small can diced green chilis
- 1 large can green chili enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl mix together chicken, cream soup, sour cream, green chilis, salt and pepper and 1/3 cup enchilada sauce.
- In a 9x9 or 9x13 pan spread 1/4 cup enchilada sauce around on the bottom of the pan.
- Place 4 corn tortillas over the sauce.
- Cover tortillas with 1/3 the chicken mixture and spread evenly.
- Pour 1/3 cup enchilada sauce over chicken mixture and then add 4 more corn tortillas.
- Cover the tortillas with 1/3 of the chicken mixture and spread evenly.
- Pour 1/3 cup enchilada sauce over the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the cheese over the chicken mixture and cover with 4 more tortillas.
- Add the last of the chicken mixture over the tortillas and spread evenly.
- Pour 1/3 to 1/2 cup enchilada sauce over the chicken mixture and top with 4 more corn tortillas.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the entire top and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake an additional 5 - 10 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- **This freezes well too. If you put it in the freezer for later - thaw in the fridge the night before or let it thaw on counter day of cooking**
Together we were able to put together 9 freezer meals. Each of the ladies took one home to give to someone they knew could use a meal.
Don’t be fooled by all the amazing meals we put together. Although we were busy working, we had lots of fun too. We ate some lunch, had a fun cookie exchange as well and got to know each other better. We made up a few delicious platters of cookies that we could keep or wrap up and give away. Everything was so yummy! My family devoured the cookie plate. They loved it.
One of my friends said it was a fun service party and I loved that term, service party. I think we should have a service party every month!
As a family we thought and prayed about who we should take our freezer meal to and finally decided on some family members that had a recent loss and could use it on one of the upcoming hard days I’m sure they will face. It was such a sweet experience to have with my kids and bring the light of Christ into our lives.
Happy Freezer Meal Making!
- Picnic Time Lemonade Disneyland Copycat Recipe
- Marvel Inspired Freakshake
- How To Make Simple Syrup
- Easy White Vegetable Lasagna
- Dragon Party Punch
- Margarita Mocktail Recipe
- Arizona Sunset Mocktail Party Punch
- Mickey Mouse Freak Shake
- Tropical Breeze Party Punch
- Black Cat Cupcakes
- Shamrock Party Punch
- Cranberry Limeade Recipe